Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mahogany and Thorndike
So, if a short and not-young person were to camp at one of these higher elevation campgrounds during the last week of October, are there any trails to follow besides Telescope and Wildrose? Does anyone know the current status of the road to get there, since I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan, not known for high clearance?
(2024-09-24, 04:49 PM)Bluegreen kayak Wrote: So, if a short and not-young person were to camp at one of these higher elevation campgrounds during the last week of October, are there any trails to follow besides Telescope and Wildrose? Does anyone know the current status of the road to get there, since I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan, not known for high clearance?

The last time I was on that road was nearly two years ago, and it was definitely not minivan friendly beyond Thorndike. I think it was probably OK up to there if I remember correctly. I'm sure the visitor center can let you know for sure.

From Mahogany flat you can hike out to the Coville ridge highpoint.  There seems to be a use-trail most of the way, but I haven't done it myself.

https://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_reports...dge_1.html
I think that most of the roads up there got pretty messed up in the floods, so if they're open now they're likely regraded and better. than previous years But I agree with Brice that a call to a human at the VC will give you the best info.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com