Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Valley CLOSED: Fall/Winter 23/24 Trip Planning
(2023-10-19, 06:01 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: This is obviously Saline-centric info, but if the park is working there, it is working elsewhere I would imagine Repairing the Lippencott road? Never would have expected that. In that report when it says the road the the Racetrack, and then Teakettle, I'm guess is meant the Hunter Mtn route to the Racetrack Valley, and then down the valley past Teakettle and Ubehebe, maybe? With all this fresh grading, things could be really good on back country roads - some of these have probably not been maintained in years. I don't know how often the Racetrack Valley road gets graded, but conditions vary so much I would guess only from time to time.

Thanks for the update!

The Racetrack Valley road used to get graded at least once, if not twice/year. It was definitely on the list of (quasi) maintained back country roads that got regular attention.

Now maintaining Lippencott (as the post mentioned) is completely unheard of. Makes me wonder if it was destroyed by the storm, or since they have the budget & equipment in the area anyway, they're digging into their buried list of "it would be nice if we had the money". I suspect that a lot of people are going to be fairly unhappy with this news though. Most of the people driving Lippencott, are there because its a challenging road, not in spite of it. Plus the risk that if they make the road easy, nut jobs in passenger cars are going to try to drive it as a short cut in/out of Saline Valley.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Death Valley CLOSED: Fall/Winter 23/24 Trip Planning - by netllama - 2023-10-19, 06:15 PM