Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some learned wisdom on visiting DV!
I wouldn’t worry about a modern rental car bring an issue in DV in any season. And if you’re on pavement someone will be along shortly no matter what. The only hill I could see potential for overheating with AC on is Towne Pass but I would still not be worried. Modern cars disable the AC when they start to overheat anyway. I would have zero worries about taking a modern car to any of the main attractions in the park.

Dante’s will be lovely on a hot day. Great place to sit and stare for hours. Badwater/Devils Golf Course will be the hottest locales.

I’d recommend some packets of liquid iv or similar to add to some of the water. Great for recharging after a hot hike. I think 12 gallons is a bit of overkill. I live in my truck and rarely carry more than 10gal and that can last me weeks. Water is also available in furnace creek & stovepipe to refill jugs.

If you’re into geology I’d put Artists Drive on your list. Short hikes there lead to some pretty areas.

The stargazing is pretty damned good on clear nights. The only light pollution is way at the horizon. But you’ll be up late that time of year waiting for it to be good and dark. Maybe do 1 night at the Ranch or Inn to stargaze in the valley if you don’t want to drive too much late at night? The hotel at Stivepipe is probably cheaper and there’s great stargazing out there too.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for some learned wisdom on visiting DV! - by Beardilocks - 2024-02-24, 11:58 AM