Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lithium Mining at the Edge of DV
Feels a bit weird to don my activist hat here, but a lot of these kind of things tend to operate in the shadows until it's too late.

I ran across this on one of my socials and thought it deserved some air time here.  I'm going to quote/paraphrase Reddit user ParticularShine4363 because I'm a bit rushed for time to write it all up myself.  I haven't vetted the claims in any way and leave that up to you all to check out the links and decide for yourselves.

Quote:
I wrote a post here previously about how a mining company is planning to drill for lithium less than 1/2 mile from Ash Meadows wildlife refuge & the devastating damage that will do to the endangered species there.

This same mining company has now filed for hundreds of more mining locations in Nevada, all along the Armagosa, and now Death Valley itself may be hurt by their actions. 

https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/p...024-05-16/

If they find lithium, which they say they will, the mining company intends to use 8000 acres for mining — right along the border to DV. This drilling will hit the water table that feeds not just the springs at Furnace Creek but also the water that the reservation uses for drinking water (as well as the DV Visitors Center).

I know multiple posts about the same issues can get annoying but this is a real threat to this park that we love, as well as the native individuals who call this area home.

A lot of the local governments in the NV towns close to these mining locations are calling for a pause in the mining company’s activities — Beatty, Armagosa Valley, I think even Pahrump. But so far they’re pushing forward despite the opposition. Now CA is set to be impacted too — the operations are set to begin 1 mile away from the DV border.

If you visit DV and want to help! The Armagosa Conservancy is still the only place I’ve found who is organizing against this. You can fill out a form to oppose the mining or donate here, if you’re able:

https://www.amargosaconservancy.org/saveashmeadows/
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com

Messages In This Thread
Lithium Mining at the Edge of DV - by Beardilocks - 2024-05-20, 08:03 AM
RE: Lithium Mining at the Edge of DV - by Kauri - 2024-05-23, 07:21 PM
RE: Lithium Mining at the Edge of DV - by DVexile - 2024-06-01, 03:09 AM