Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Valley CLOSED: Fall/Winter 23/24 Trip Planning
(2023-10-23, 12:48 PM)Beardilocks Wrote: I am curious why Titus is being delayed as long as it is. Obviously a lot fo roads need a lot of attention. But that was always a high-value attraction. Of course the same could be said about Scotty's castle and that will have been closed for a full DECADE before it finally opens up again.

Besides the bottom of the canyon, which the photos above show needs some serious earth moving, I wonder about the switchbacks and similar locations at the head of the canyon. Those could potentially require some serious rebuilding as well. As was said, it'd be nice to see some photos of surveyed bad parts!

I agree with you Titus is a popular location, but personally I'm fine with it being closed for awhile. It doesn't really get you anywhere and so I'd prefer other roads to have priority (yes, I realize there are a number of nice trailheads off the road). Also, a rare opportunity for those who want to walk Titus without traffic!
There's a number of very, very sensitive natural resources adjacent to parts of the road. Also, parts of the road grade date back almost 100 years, so if there's damage up around Red Pass they will need to be very careful.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
Well, it finally turned chilly in Northern Nevada and I'd like to get down to DV for some hiking and backcountry camping. I haven't been following closures closely, but assuming they're vast & significant, so would likely focus on the Owlshead region. Bonus points for being lower elevation (warmer temps) and less popular (as the timeframe looks to be December 22 – 31, ugh). Just thought I'd share this with the class in case anyone is going to be around or has any thoughts.
There has been zero updates or condition reports from NPS (or anyone else) on the Southern part of the park. Interesting because they've listed detailed reports on a lot of parts of the park, but have not mentioned even Harry Wade (which is likely destroyed). It is all listed as closed on their map, but with Jubilee Pass and 127 closed, there's no way in right now anyway. I'm quite sure that the road is already perfectly graded and beautiful from 127 to the Leach Lake gate for the military.

They have listed early Dec as the estimated opening of 178. Caltrans has listed estimated date to rebuild 127.

I'll give you a shout if I'm around about that time. Heading Westward again in a few days after way too much time in the East.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
Here's how Harry Wade looked in early September:

[Image: hires?]

Lots more damage pictures here: Hurricane Hillary Galleries
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
It's cool. I drive a Toyota.

(Also, uh oh .... not good.)

Guess we'll see where things are early December and go from there. Thanks for all the intel, y'all.
(2023-10-26, 07:09 PM)TacoLand Wrote: It's cool. I drive a Toyota.

yep, I too was driving a Toyota when I fell into something like that. DO NOT RECOMMEND.
Eh.... couple minutes shoveling the edges off, lockers on, and lots of right foot...

I kid. Definitely not in a national park.

The funny part is that wasn't the part of HW that I was worried about. Lol. The first several miles off of 178 are cross-cut to hell and after the Aug 2022 floods, they graded the roads but didn't cut in cross flow channels. So it was a huge chute for flood waters.

Thanks for the pics Gower.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
Can anyone confirm if Trona-Wildrose Rd and Panamint Springs road are open? Google maps showed them closed when I checked a few weeks ago but not anymore. That's usually my route into the park since we typically stop in Ridgecrest.
Yeah, that photo actually looks like more fun than anything else. BUT I respect the NP status and would only do such things if I was in an emergency situation ... which a holiday in the sun is not.

And don't worry netllama, I've read enough of your trip reports to know what NOT to do while behind the wheel!