Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what's everyone doing over the summer, while DV is too damn hot?
Its been kinda dead here, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm about to head back to Africa for 3 weeks.  Sao Tome (on the equator, with coffee & chocolate!), then Angola (with camping in remote tribal regions).  Finishing up my African former Portuguese colonies (2 years since the Mozambique incident!) bingo card!

Beginning of August i'm driving out to Kansas to help my son move for grad school (then flying back). Its been over 20 years since I last drove (half) cross country, and its going to be weird in many ways.

End of August, I'm flying out to Colorado Springs for a long weekend wedding.
My wonderful daughter thought for some reason that we should celebrate my 70th birthday with an Alaskan cruise, a first time experience for me. We go for a week mid-July. She picked one that really sounds suitable for me; instead of a large ship visiting cities for shopping and sightseeing, we're on a smaller vessel that will go into bays along the coast. Then we get to kayak and hike in the wilderness, without any civilization. If any one has done this and has advice for us, I'm all ears!

(I am pining for the desert all the same; won't be back there until October/November.)
(2024-06-28, 08:50 PM)Bluegreen kayak Wrote: My wonderful daughter thought for some reason that we should celebrate my 70th birthday with an Alaskan cruise, a first time experience for me. We go for a week mid-July. She picked one that really sounds suitable for me; instead of a large ship visiting cities for shopping and sightseeing, we're on a smaller vessel that will go into bays along the coast. Then we get to kayak and hike in the wilderness, without any civilization. If any one has done this and has advice for us, I'm all ears!

(I am pining for the desert all the same; won't be back there until October/November.)

That sounds like a blast. I've read about others exploring the coastal region around Juneau and loved it. I've only driven to/from Alaska, and never got out to the coast.
Recovering from triple bypass in upstate NY, where the temp is tolerable. Waiting for the DV area to cool off, then visiting new grandson in Keeler. We'll be there for a couple of weeks sometime in September, then head to HI for the winter. Early next spring, come back to NY and finish prepping the house for sale.

David Bricker / SYR
DV Rat.  Live upstate NY, play Death Valley, retiring to Hawaii. '95 Cherokee, barely.
(2024-06-28, 06:46 PM)netllama Wrote: Beginning of August i'm driving out to Kansas to help my son move for grad school (then flying back).  Its been over 20 years since I last drove (half) cross country, and its going to be weird in many ways.

Wow, grad school! Congrats to your son! What area of study, and Masters or PhD? 
I finished grad school 1 year and 9 months ago (not that I'm counting or anything Big Grin) and TBH am glad to be done with that.
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
(2024-06-28, 09:23 PM)David_Bricker Wrote: Recovering from triple bypass in upstate NY, where the temp is tolerable.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
I had plans to be in Bend (Oregon) for Overland Expo this weekend and then continue on to Mt. Rainier, but those plans were unfortunately thwarted for multiple reasons. Current summer plans are some trips to the Sierras, location and times still TBD. Until then in my spare time I'll continue to annoy Beardilocks with countless questions about various Toyota repairs while he's on the opposite side of the country busy doing far more major repairs on his Land Cruiser. Odd, but of course in a very good way, to think that many of the folks I keep in touch with regularly I met via this forum or its predecessor.
(2024-06-28, 09:38 PM)Kauri Wrote:
(2024-06-28, 06:46 PM)netllama Wrote: Beginning of August i'm driving out to Kansas to help my son move for grad school (then flying back).  Its been over 20 years since I last drove (half) cross country, and its going to be weird in many ways.

Wow, grad school! Congrats to your son! What area of study, and Masters or PhD? 
I finished grad school 1 year and 9 months ago (not that I'm counting or anything Big Grin) and TBH am glad to be done with that.

Thanks. he's going for a PhD in applied math !
I'm stuck out east for the time being.  Replacing the transmission on my truck along with other maintenance.  Not due to catastrophic failure but due to stumbling onto a brand new upgraded model with better gearing that I couldn't pass up at the price.  We always hurt ourselves don't we?  Lol. 

Otherwise I'm slowly losing my marbles being stuck in the tightly packed east and trying to plan my escape in the fall.  Destination likely include Wind River Range, most of UT (Cathedral Valley, Maze, Needles, the Swell, Dark Canyon, Davis Gulch on HinR Rd), maybe AZ Strip if I can locate enough targets (anyone have any leads on Esplanade Polychrome sites?). 

And I'm sure eventually back to DV, although I'm a bit at a loss for what I'm chasing this time around.

I just finished reading "These Canyons are Full of Ghosts".  Great read especially if you love Butte Valley. 

Currently attempting to research the 1834 Stones in DV.  Anyone know anything about them? 

And finally, still trying to update my blog for the last few months between DV and getting back east.  I still have several trips to get up, but if you're interested in travels in the greater SW check it out:  https://pocketsfullofdustcom.wordpress.com/
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
(2024-06-29, 09:51 AM)Beardilocks Wrote: Currently attempting to research the 1834 Stones in DV.  Anyone know anything about them? 

I assume you've collaborated with Guy Starbuck? He has a page about them, but no real information other than photos.

netllama Wrote: Its been kinda dead here, so I figured I'd ask.

Too hot in DV to go out and play!  Big Grin Me? Just doing what I do every day. A little this, a little that around the acreage. Last month we hit 101° in the northern Great Basin; but we also dropped to 23° and nipped and killed my garden and a few young trees. Having a 92 year old mother and a disabled wife kind of puts a damper on travel plans. So I'm happy to get out in my own backyard now and then to enjoy seeing the wildlife and vistas. And sit on the deck and enjoy my coffee each morning, the sunshine, my chickens and quail; while in the evening and dusk doing the same with a shot of bourbon.
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.