Death Valley
caltopo changes - Printable Version

+- Death Valley (https://dv.netllama.us/dv)
+-- Forum: Death Valley (https://dv.netllama.us/dv/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Desert Survival (https://dv.netllama.us/dv/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: caltopo changes (/thread-21.html)

caltopo changes - MojaveGeek - 2020-09-30

I don't know how many of you use caltopo.  It is my go-to topo source, totally addicted.   When I open it today, I no longer see access to Google info - google maps and google sat used to be map options.  I found it very useful to toggle between sat and topo.   There is something called "global imagery" now, but it is lower resolution than Google.  Am I missing something?   If I became a paid subscriber would these reappear?  I can't tell.

RE: caltopo changes - Kauri - 2020-09-30

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that yet, and will be curious to hear what you find out.

I use caltopo a lot, though I primarily use the Forest Service maps and the Fire History/Fire Activity maps, and switch to the Google Earth app when looking at satellite imagery.

RE: caltopo changes - kayaker77 - 2020-09-30

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I liked it better before.

RE: caltopo changes - bbbb - 2020-09-30

After the demise of Gmap4, I became a big fan of Cal Topo too. Their weekly snow cover pics were a game changer for planning hikes in the Sierra. However, I believe they moved them behind a paid subscription wall. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened to some of the other imagery.

RE: caltopo changes - netllama - 2020-09-30

Google has significantly restricted access to all of their APIs in the past year or so. What used to be free and/or unrestricted access is now neither. I strongly suspect that Caltopo has moved anything using Google Map's API behind a pay wall.

RE: caltopo changes - trailhound - 2020-10-02

I have a Caltopo subscription so I can print maps larger than 8 1/2 x 11. I can still see a Google satellite image and Google Maps as well as USGS topo layers.

RE: caltopo changes - MojaveGeek - 2020-10-02

(2020-10-02, 06:29 AM)trailhound Wrote: I have a Caltopo subscription so I can print maps larger than 8 1/2 x 11. I can still see a Google satellite image and Google Maps as well as USGS topo layers.

Thank you.  Those are valuable enough to me that once I am out and about in the wild again, I will definitely pony up the sub fee.   I've certainly gotten tons of use out of caltopo!

RE: caltopo changes - GowerGulch42 - 2021-01-08

They have also removed the historical topo maps from the free/web version. Any pro users still have these?

RE: caltopo changes - Kauri - 2021-01-08

(2021-01-08, 11:30 AM)GowerGulch42 Wrote: They have also removed the historical topo maps from the free/web version. Any pro users still have these?

Try Base Layers -> Historic 1885 - 1915 or Base Layers -> Historic 1915 - 1945 on the right side column. Is this what you're looking for?

I almost panicked when I didn't see the Forest Service map layer on the left side column where it used to be, since I rely on those maps a lot for trip planning. But it's (currently) still available, also under the Base Layers heading on the right side column.

RE: caltopo changes - GowerGulch42 - 2021-01-08

Ah, they hid them!