Death Valley
searching dv.net forum tab - Printable Version

+- Death Valley (https://dv.netllama.us/dv)
+-- Forum: Death Valley (https://dv.netllama.us/dv/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: General (https://dv.netllama.us/dv/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: searching dv.net forum tab (/thread-25941.html)

Pages: 1 2

searching dv.net forum tab - John Morrow - 2021-10-01

Any recommendations on how to search within this forum most effectively?

How can author names replace: unknown_dvnet_user?  I'd like to edit for my old dv.net posts if possible, for reference.

RE: searching dv.net forum tab - trailhound - 2021-10-01

I have had no luck at all searching this tab.  The search marked by the magnifying glass tells me I have entered nothing when I did.  You can select a single tab, but the dv.net tab is not listed.  The white box with the blue search button does not return anything from dv.net. Maybe I am missing something.

I can find my old dv.net posts by hunt and peck on the dates. However, they are only text. None of the pictures appear. I would like to have all of my old trip reports with pictures, but they are apparently lost. Too bad I did not know about the Web2Disk app when dv.net was taken down.

RE: searching dv.net forum tab - GowerGulch42 - 2021-10-01

It appears that user names were frequently not preserved in the data scrape, nor URLs or BBC code.

Alas, hunt-and-peck may be your best bet if a keyword search doesn't help.

RE: searching dv.net forum tab - netllama - 2021-10-01

(2021-10-01, 10:10 AM)John Morrow Wrote: Any recommendations on how to search within this forum most effectively?

How can author names replace: unknown_dvnet_user?  I'd like to edit for my old dv.net posts if possible, for reference.

Users who registered for the new forum, with the same username at the time that the old forum's posts were imported were linked. Any that didn't exist at that time were replaced with "unknown_dvnet_user".

That said you cannot edit old posts, they are all read-only to preserve the archive in the state that it had when it was imported into this forum.

What are you trying to accomplish by editing posts from 1+ years ago?

(2021-10-01, 11:51 AM)GowerGulch42 Wrote: It appears that user names were frequently not preserved in the data scrape, nor URLs or BBC code.

Alas, hunt-and-peck may be your best bet if a keyword search doesn't help.

Due to hostilty and lack of cooperation by the old forum's owner, the import process was a highly custom, high effort process. Getting the content that we now have required many hours of effort, and unfortunately did not focus on maintaining URLs or special encoding (BB Code in the old forum was incomptable with this forum with significant additional effort). Sorry if this isn't a great solution, but the entire process was a significant effort simply to get the posts imported.

If someone with the time & knowledge in data processing wants to volunteer to further process the old content, I am quite happy to work with them.

(2021-10-01, 10:50 AM)trailhound Wrote: I have had no luck at all searching this tab.  The search marked by the magnifying glass tells me I have entered nothing when I did.  You can select a single tab, but the dv.net tab is not listed.  The white box with the blue search button does not return anything from dv.net. Maybe I am missing something.

I can find my old dv.net posts by hunt and peck on the dates. However, they are only text. None of the pictures appear. I would like to have all of my old trip reports with pictures, but they are apparently lost. Too bad I did not know about the Web2Disk app when dv.net was taken down.

I've not had any problems with simple text string searches of the old forum posts. Specifically what are you trying to search for that you're not finding?

RE: searching dv.net forum tab - John Morrow - 2021-10-02

First, thanks all for the effort to get the info.  It is sad that the former owner is not so cooperative.

All I mean is if I search "Trellis Canyon" or "Trellis" or Trellis, no posts with the username unknown_dvnet_user will show up.  I was just seeking old TR info I remember once seeing.

By edit, I simply meant changing unk_dvnet_user back to my username.

John

RE: searching dv.net forum tab - netllama - 2021-10-02

(2021-10-02, 07:39 AM)John Morrow Wrote: First, thanks all for the effort to get the info.  It is sad that the former owner is not so cooperative.

All I mean is if I search "Trellis Canyon" or "Trellis" or Trellis, no posts with the username unknown_dvnet_user will show up.  I was just seeking old TR info I remember once seeing.

By edit, I simply meant changing unk_dvnet_user back to my username.

John

Sorry about that. Searching should now return results for the dv.net forum. Please let me know if you're still having any issues.

RE: searching dv.net forum tab - trailhound - 2021-10-04

Netllama - First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you have done. We would have lost a great resource without your efforts.

I searched for my user name "trailhound" expecting that my old posts would appear. Likely, I am missing something or not doing it right.

I wanted to copy my old trip reports, maybe turn them into PDF's.  It's just for sentimental value. Since the pictures are not available, there is nothing more that can be done. 

I never heard an explanation of why the old owner pulled the dv.net site so abruptly. For that matter, why be uncooperative now? What does it gain anybody?

RE: searching dv.net forum tab - MojaveGeek - 2021-10-04

The old forum (and I think this one too?) didn't actually save your pix, just the link to your pix, I believe. So since you have the pix yourself... you could put them in pretty easily, no? Or grab the text, insert some IMG html elements to point to your pix, and then display it in a browser, from which you could print as a PDF?

Agreed, my old TRs are fun for me to read later, and sometimes pass on to others.