Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panamint Butte via Lemoigne Canyon
Back in the 1990s I meant to go up to the cabin, but didn't take the left hand turn and kept going straight up the canyon. Eventually I got to the top of the canyon and much to my surprise there was a road up there! On subsequent trips I got to the cabin and on one trip I went up above the cabin and came back down that other fork of the canyon. It's an interesting area up there!
Said road connected to Cottonwood Springs and was a route before the wells on the canyon bottom were dug. Automobile Association of Southern California documented trips there. The road was open until 1991 as far as I know, though rarely driven.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
I really loved going down N Fk Lemoigne Canyon!  4000 gain (or loss) to/from the hidden J-Tree flats.  Really beautiful down there.  This was on an extension of Marble/Cottonwood, to make a larger loop beginning at Emigrant Cmpg.  Giant tilted colorful limestone striations were particularly beautiful and deep.

[Image: 31118271761_e95dc0f894_b.jpg]Leaving the flat by John Morrow, on Flickr

[Image: 30424957883_fa1e745eb8_b.jpg]Getting neat; Death Valley National Park, CA by John Morrow, on Flickr

[Image: 31118265151_51d48d79d0_b.jpg]Exceeding expectations! by John Morrow, on Flickr

[Image: 31118261851_6ba1213d53_b.jpg]almost out Lemoigne Canyon by John Morrow, on Flickr
The North Fork of LeMoigne Canyon and the flats up top are wonderful terrain to ramble through. We enjoyed our hikes there. Here (start page 13) is an article we've enjoyed about  a loop pack trip in 1949 - Desert Magazine December 1949
(2021-09-25, 10:51 AM)ski3pin Wrote: The North Fork of LeMoigne Canyon and the flats up top are wonderful terrain to ramble through. We enjoyed our hikes there. Here (start page 13) is an article we've enjoyed about  a loop pack trip in 1949 - Desert Magazine December 1949

Thank you for the link, Monte. Now my digital Desert Magazine collection has grown 100%!  Rolleyes
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.