Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A week in.... Sudan
(2020-12-04, 09:10 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: Algeria crossing: Yup, and to think that I hitch-hiked. Northern Nigeria is definitely not cool right now. I think eastern Niger is not much safer. Those were different times.

I enjoyed reading your three part description of the 'Stans. Do you have other write ups? I also enjoyed your pix of Iran. Seems brave to travel there as an American, but maybe it is a different world outside of Tehran. It was very different there in the 70s in so many ways, but back then, Tehran was just a different world from the rest of the country.

I saw something amazing in Tehran. This was after overland through Africa, boat to Bombay, overland to Tehran. Women's knees. How risque Smile Really, it was a bit of a shock. But Tehran was the "Paris of central Asia" and very fashion conscious, in the center of town at least.

Hitch-hiking in Iran was bizarre too, but for that I was with my brother, who was living in Tehran and could get by in Farsi.

All of my trip reports are here:
https://netllama.linux-sxs.org/llamaland/
Oh what fun on a rainy (and later, snowy) day! Given how much you travel, it will take me a while to work through these, but I'm looking forward to each one!

I seem mention of "all 50 states" and I also saw a TR titled "10 states in 10 days" or some such. Filling in the blanks? I have not yet been to Alaska. For me the strip up the midwest was tough to get - I have little reason to go to the Dakotas for vacation, for example. But I took half a day of a work trip to Minneapolis to head over and tag both of them, and another work trip (this one a boondoggle, in part to tag the states) for Kansas and Nebraska. I grew up in Chicago with family in St. Louis and Mobile so had been to the states further east. Oh on some other work trip to Dallas I tagged Oklahoma. I had had dreams of Alaska, my 50th state for my 50th birthday, but did not happen.
(2020-12-05, 10:31 AM)MojaveGeek Wrote: Oh what fun on a rainy (and later, snowy) day! Given how much you travel, it will take me a while to work through these, but I'm looking forward to each one!

I seem mention of "all 50 states" and I also saw a TR titled "10 states in 10 days" or some such. Filling in the blanks? I have not yet been to Alaska. For me the strip up the midwest was tough to get - I have little reason to go to the Dakotas for vacation, for example. But I took half a day of a work trip to Minneapolis to head over and tag both of them, and another work trip (this one a boondoggle, in part to tag the states) for Kansas and Nebraska. I grew up in Chicago with family in St. Louis and Mobile so had been to the states further east. Oh on some other work trip to Dallas I tagged Oklahoma. I had had dreams of Alaska, my 50th state for my 50th birthday, but did not happen.

Last July we did a road trip all the way up to North Dakota, where we covered 10 states in 10 days, and also hit my 49th & 50th states.

I hit Alaska way back in 2011, doing a road trip covering over 8000 miles. Trip report is here: https://netllama.linux-sxs.org/llamaland/?p=1352