Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Input: Stuck in Butte Valley for two days ...
(2021-02-23, 11:24 AM)Candace66 Wrote: While I don't miss putting the Heep in the shop regularly, I do miss some of those Rubi capabilities.  But I knew going in that the SR5 4Runner was a step down. 

TBH I almost never actually used the lockers.  Though I did engage them occasionally just to make sure they were still functional.  But the front sway bar disconnect was great for keeping better wheel contact on eroded roads.  And the ultra low range was great too, I could just ease it down the steepest descents with no braking.

Maybe you can put some of the money you’ve saved by getting a 4Runner rather than paying for your Jeep’s time in the shop by modifying and upgrading your 4Runner so that it equals or surpasses the capabilities of your Jeep. Smile I’ve found that the info on trail4r.com and some other websites and forums is a great place to start for learning about what some of the options are for getting some goodies for your 4Runner. I think you can probably add a lot of the items that were mentioned in regards to the Jeep to your 4Runner with aftermarket parts, e.g. Marlin Crawler transfer case for lower gears; though you may already know more about all this than I do, since you were modifying your Xterra and I’m just learning about these mods now Smile 
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
(2021-02-23, 11:24 AM)Candace66 Wrote: Off-topic, I chuckled when you mentioned the V-notch at Swansea.  I was a bit underinformed about the road when I drove the loop in 2015, exiting via Swansea.  I was in the upgraded Xterra so I made it through unscathed, but it was...exciting.  According to my notes from that day, there's a bypass around that section, is that correct?

I drove past this sign facing the other direction shortly after that stretch.  They're not kidding! Tongue 

[Image: 50973603617_f881a7af29_c.jpg]IMGP7151 by Candace66, on Flickr

Yes, the V-notch has a bypass.  It's on the left heading up from highway 136 (north side of the V-notch).  I've never been up the bypass, so not sure what it's like.  Also, the rough stairsteps on the Swansea grade are getting quite a bit more nasty, undoubtedly because of folks with open differentials.  I'd rather the V-notch not have the bypass, frankly, to act as a bit of a gatekeeper.  If you can't make the V-notch, you won't make the stairsteps.

And yes, I find it odd that the difficulty sign is only from the Swansea direction.  No sign anywhere else on the route.

David Bricker / SYR
DV Rat.  Live upstate NY, play Death Valley, retiring to Hawaii. '95 Cherokee, barely.
(2021-02-15, 11:18 AM)bbbb Wrote: Being "stuck" in Butte Valley for two days sounds like a good problem to have. I've never been there but watching this thread as well for ideas. If you have a second to comment on road conditions when you get back, taco, would love to hear about it.

Butte Valley was a little on the rough side going in & out via Warm Springs Road, but I'd say it's doable with HIGH clearance, good tires, full-size spare, patience, and comfort/familiarity with driving off-road. I aired down from 35 to 25psi (usually go 15-18 on difficult stuff) and threw it into hi-4wd for the drive in just out of habit. Could have done it in 2wd without airing down though.

There was a VW Syncro Van at Geologist's and they reported a tow truck driving in and pulling a big pickup truck out of Mengel / Goler's.

My friends have a lifted Tundra and followed us in / out. They thought the ride was a bit of a bone-shaker, especially up to Arrastre Spring (agreed). Not sure if I kicked up a rock, or it was just the culmination of seven days of off-roading, but by the time we got back out to pavement I noticed my rear-diff was seeping fluid.
(2021-03-06, 12:40 PM)TacoLand Wrote: Not sure if I kicked up a rock, or it was just the culmination of seven days of off-roading, but by the time we got back out to pavement I noticed my rear-diff was seeping fluid.

Is it leaking from the drain plug, or elsewhere? (I'm asking because I recall you also have a 3rd gen 4Runner, and mine started leaking rear diff fluid after a rough drive; turned out the drain plug had worked its way loose, and I wasn't able to determine if it did that entirely on its own or if the shop didn't quite tighten it enough after the last fluid change.)

Looking forward to reading your trip report from the Butte Valley area, when you have time to write one!
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
My leak was the gasket between the differential and axle (apologies if I'm using wrong words, mechanics are not my forte). A few of the bolts had worked loose (direct impact or too much 50mph washboard) so that's where all the seepage was. Tightened everything down, cleaned the area, ran a heavy bead of silicone, and refilled the rear diff. 24 hours later and I don't see a leak anymore. I'd have it all torn out and put in an ARB e-locker if I wasn't hellbent on going back to a Tacoma.
(2021-03-06, 01:28 PM)TacoLand Wrote: My leak was the gasket between the differential and axle (apologies if I'm using wrong words, mechanics are not my forte). A few of the bolts had worked loose (direct impact or too much 50mph washboard) so that's where all the seepage was. Tightened everything down, cleaned the area, ran a heavy bead of silicone, and refilled the rear diff. 24 hours later and I don't see a leak anymore. I'd have it all torn out and put in an ARB e-locker if I wasn't hellbent on going back to a Tacoma.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully it was just caused by the washboard, and glad your repair worked!
Ah the pinyon seal! That's a bear to change out. Mine's been leaking for ~5 years and never been an issue.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
(2021-02-23, 03:08 PM)Kauri Wrote: Maybe you can put some of the money you’ve saved by getting a 4Runner rather than paying for your Jeep’s time in the shop by modifying and upgrading your 4Runner so that it equals or surpasses the capabilities of your Jeep. Smile

Nah, I resolved ahead of time that I wasn't going to spend money on mods, beyond upgrading the tires!

Fortunately, I had got the extended warranty when I bought the Heep, so it wasn't costing me a lot of money.  But sure was costing a lot of time and aggravation.