Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed rate changes for campgrounds and backcountry permits
I didn't realize roadside camping along Greenwater required a permit.  There are no indications. I've apparently violated that rule a bunch of times.  Charging for camping along the entire length of greenwater seems excessive.  All the activity is in the first mile off of dante's view road, and to a lesser extent jubilee pass road.  Making some designated campsites (and charging for them) seems reasonable in those specific areas. People aren't great at following the "camp in previously disturbed areas" rule.

Quote:The NPS seeks to issue these backcountry permits online through Recreation.gov, and no longer issue them in person at visitor centers. This will allow people to acquire their backcountry permits online and plan in advance. 

Great idea, except getting a usuable cell signal in DV can be impossible much of the time, even in Furnace creek.  Why couldn't they offer both in person and online reservations?

Maybe I'll leave some official comments and pretend they aren't going into a black hole, never to be read.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proposed rate changes for campgrounds and backcountry permits - by Brice - 2023-09-27, 02:44 PM