Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panamint Springs - Do the springs exist?
(2020-11-15, 07:49 PM)DeathValleyDazed Wrote: I found an informative video about "The Pelton Wheel" which you say powered Panamint Springs for some time. I assume they used this until the overhead power lines were installed. 

And thanks again David for clarity on the Old Toll Road which prompted me to make a short video about it. I've to drive that historic road again but take much more time to explore the area instead of hurrying to return the rental jeep.

Overhead power lines?  At PSR?  Bwahahahahaha! Smile    PSR is very much off grid. I don't know when the pelton wheel went out of service; certainly before my time. The pelton wheel, or at least one of them, was installed and inspected in 1944.  It was a 12" unit, rated at about 5 KW. PSR was built in 1937.  I'm not sure if there was an earlier form of electrical generation. Interestingly, the 1944 system describes having a "considerable" number of batteries, in order to supply the additional demand of the lights at night. Clearly, insufficient to keep the beer coolers running.

Over the years, there have been a variety of generators. Since the Cassells purchased the property in 2006, the electricity has been much more stable.  Up until last year, the latest primary generator was a 75KW John Deere diesel, with a variety of units as backup, from 50KW to 100KW.  Last year, a new system was installed with a matched paid of new diesels.  Cleaner burning, load balancing, auto-cutover, and the ability to shut down cylinders during periods of lower demand.

A few years ago, PSR looked into the potential of extending power from the mine in Panamint Valley.  Not even counting the inevitable regulatory hurdles to run a power line across park land, the estimated cost for the poles was over $3 Million.  Needless to say, that wasn't a solution.  Solar has been looked at, but the battery storage is still a big challenge and cost.

The old Toll road isn't a bad drive. 4WD is certainly helpful.  I rescued a kid out of there, at the stairsteps just past the Falls parking lot, who decided he could make it up there in his Chevy Corsica. Short answer; no, he couldn't. And yes, alcohol was involved in the kid's "adventure".    Yet, back in 2007, my son Noah went to Darwin almost daily for the mail, driving a 1978 Dodge Polara (the Green monster).  I certainly would never recommend someone trying the Toll road in a 2wd passenger car, as the stairsteps can be messy, as well as the deep sand.

Perhaps some day we can connect out there, and we can run some of the tougher roads that require 4WD.

David Bricker / SYR
DV Rat.  Live upstate NY, play Death Valley, retiring to Hawaii. '95 Cherokee, barely.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Panamint Springs - Do the springs exist? - by David_Bricker - 2020-11-15, 08:59 PM