Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indian Peak (White Mountains) trip report
The comment about "hand written on topo maps..."

Many years ago I started exploring Panamint Valley and found there were springs (Tuber, Surprise, Happy...).  I wondered if there were any north of highway 90?  Back then maps were not online, but my school had a map library with all the paper topos.   I found the right one, and there, up Dolomite Canyon, was hand printed in pencil an X and WATER.  I made a color copy (we had an early color copier) and...

That year I went up with my daughter looking for it.  We got to where the X was, but found nothing.  It appeared to be in the canyon, but we found nothing.   WTF?

Years later, with my wife-to-be Kathy, we were up walking from Towne Pass over to Towne Peak and looking out over the canyon we saw..  a white thing down in the canyon.  Looked like a white water tank!

Someone I knew used to ramble around the PV and I gave him the info.  He went looking, climbed a few local hills, found nothing, sent pix.

In the mean time I learned that a retired geology prof at my school used to do field work in DV.

I took the photos I had of the white thing from above, drew a few sight lines on the topo based on features in the background, and identified a location as a canyon fork about 1/2 mile upstream from where it was marked (remember, the mark was likely pre-GPS).   I eventually got there with my hiking buddy Eric.  It was a guzzler.  Indeed, a white tank, with a dam upstream and metal pipe feeding to the tank, and a guzzler with a float valve hanging off that.  Not quite functional at the time.

Probably took a decade to finish that quest!  But it was fun to finally find the WATER

Messages In This Thread
RE: Indian Peak (White Mountains) trip report - by MojaveGeek - 2020-10-21, 06:08 PM