Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jurassic Canyon Death Valley
October 30, 2020 I set out to revisit a specific location downstream about a mile from the mouth of Indian Pass Canyon. This exact location I happened upon March 2018 exiting Indian Pass as the sun was setting over Tucki Mountain and Stove Pipe Wells. There exists a large hole in the drainage side wall resembling a round window (about 15-20 feet in diameter - large enough that I actually scrambled up to, went through, and scrambled down the other side) after I had scaled the wall and walked across the top of the hole. 

Back in March 2018 I was gobsmacked at my good fortune to not only stumble across the hole in the wall but to catch it back lighted by the gorgeous setting light. So my goal was to return and photograph the hole from the north face capturing the rising sun at dawn as a mirror image or opposite view. 

I started out from Highway 190 at the Three Bare Hills but not quite early enough because I got confused and headed up the wrong drainage which put me behind schedule to capture the rising sun. On the way I happened upon a section of the drainage that reminded me of Jurassic Park with dinosaur heads transforming from the stone. There was also a small arch within a larger arch which was lovely backlighted by the morning sun. 

In spite of my detour I had a great time with perfect weather and lighting conditions. Happening upon a female bighorn sheep rack was a first for me as well. The video is set to the theme music of the Jurassic Park hit movie. 

[color=var(--ytcp-link-color)]https://youtu.be/ghFUKkW8Ti8[/color]
Life begins in Death Valley

Messages In This Thread
Jurassic Canyon Death Valley - by DeathValleyDazed - 2020-11-05, 08:47 PM
RE: Jurassic Canyon Death Valley - by Kauri - 2020-11-05, 10:33 PM
RE: Jurassic Canyon Death Valley - by MojaveGeek - 2020-11-11, 08:19 PM