Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satellite Emergency Notification Devices
I finally got around to getting a Garmin inReach Mini a couple days ago and tried it out on a section of the PCT north of Kennedy Meadows. It worked great. (Of course, I didin't try the SOS button so technically I don't know if that feature works! LOL) I have it paired with my smartphone and so I can see detailed maps and send messages and all sorts of cool stuff. Although I've gotten by without one of these for years many people I know have urged me to get one. The first time I saw one of these devices was on a hike with MojaveGeek. He had a Spot. Since then I think all of these devices have added lots of features.

Most of the hikes I do are outside of cell service zones and so I've been taking a "risk" I suppose for years. Of course, having grown up before cell phones became available I never really thought of it that way since that was the only way of going out into the wilderness prior to cell phones. It would be interesting to hear about what different people use and how many people still go out without one of these devices. Also did I make a mistake going with the inReach? I know there are various opinions on which one of these devices is the best. As for the monthly service fee I went with the basic service level which has a cost of $12/month.

I'm still using a Garmin Foretrex along with the inReach since the Foretrex fits nicely on my wrist so I can see mileage, elevation, time of day, and time of sunset at a glance. I may upgrade to a ForeRunner at some point, but those things are a little pricey! Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Satellite Emergency Notification Devices - by blackturtle.us - 2020-11-13, 10:02 AM