Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satellite Emergency Notification Devices
I picked up and started using a Garmin inReach Explorer a few years ago. I pay the annual fee of $24.95 for the Freedom Plan, and then throughout the year I turn the service on in one month's increments for around $16 when needed. This works out really well because I tend to pack my trips into the spring and fall, so on average I only pay for about three months a year and fit multiple trips into that time frame.

My usage for the device revolves solely around messaging / communication. I have extensive mapping (Topo Maps!!!) on my iPhone, along with paper maps, though I have played around with the GPS on the inReach and it's also fantastic (so it serves as a third backup).

Actually, I also use the inReach for weather reports now that I think about it. Another great feature when on extended backpacking or backcountry trips.

For messaging you can setup 3 preset messages in the device and use these an unlimited amount of times at no charge. Before each trip I pick who I want my info to go to and program these messages: 1) Camping here for the night. Everything is groovy.; 2) This is my current location. Everything is gravy.; 3) Run into some sort of trouble here. Please contact closest Ranger / Sheriff and send them to this location to help me. Will send more info when I can.

Pretty straightforward. During the middle of the day I'll shoot a message #2 to my pre-selected contacts, and at the end of the day shoot #1 to everyone. My hope is that if I run into trouble and become incapacitated, multiple people will have a last known spot for me within 12 hours of my "incident."

One final thing that has made this device & purchase even more worthwhile, is that I now lend it out to good friends when they're going out on backcountry expeditions. Definitely getting my money's worth and it allows my friends to get weird out there, knowing that I'm back in town monitoring their location and able to provide support if needed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Satellite Emergency Notification Devices - by TacoLand - 2020-11-15, 10:39 AM