Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satellite Emergency Notification Devices
Taco, do you think your option #3 (ask friends for help) is better than hitting the SOS button? I figure with the SOS I am more likely to get contact from the responding agency, as the inreach response center can give them my contact info. That comm capacity is a lot of why I upgraded from the Spot. I figure if I need to ask for help it would be helpful for the responders to know my situation, e.g. whether I am stable for the night if needed, conscious and helpful (waving tarps or clothing for aerial searches) etc.

So I figure I'd hit SOS and then send messages directly to my wife with info so she knows what's up. I figure it might be hard for her to figure out how to invoke local help, and she's usually 2 or 3 time zones away, so there could be some disconnects in there.

The one that I ponder over is the rattlesnake bite. I think getting bit means pretty much mandatory turn around, but not all bites envenomate. Probably I would chill out and evaluate, and either hike out on my own or call for help, depending on my condition. But I would probably text home even if I did not call for help.

Once my brother noticed that a number of "I'm here" messages came from the same location (a car camp base camp) and he was worried I was injured and immobilized. We straightened that one out.

I also wear a Garmin watch (it was a retirement gift; my co-workers knew me well!) so when I'm out I actually have 4 GPS capable devices Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Satellite Emergency Notification Devices - by MojaveGeek - 2020-11-15, 05:22 PM