Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satellite Emergency Notification Devices
Hey Mojave!

Yeah, that Option #3 is an odd choice and kind of just takes up space as I use #1 and #2 all the time, and couldn't come up with a more useful #3.

My understanding has always been that the SOS button is a last (and expensive) resort – I'm assuming all hands on deck NPS / Sheriff response to a situation I don't expect to be able to provide further updates from due to incident / injury. For me, the SOS button is the last thing I do before I slip into unconsciousness or bleed out or god only knows what. Basically, send the choppah!

Option #3 on the other hand would be a situation in the backcountry where I've run into something or someone that isn't right, is going to need help, but I need to do some problem solving first before we get more details out. But while I'm working on those details lets get the ball rolling and send help out now to what isn't a catastrophic situation.

I've had two experiences on Saline Valley Road where Option #3 was my first reaction, versus an SOS. Once heading out South Pass on the way to Lone Pine my dad and I ran into an overturned old VW van in the middle of the road. And ... there's a small, naked child standing in the middle of the road staring at us. First thoughts were dark thoughts, but wasn't sure if calling a $50,000 helicopter ride was 100% necessary (but let's definitely get the sheriff out here now). Thankfully the father who was driving the van, and both his children, were safe and unhurt once we got everything sorted out. That was a very, very long day.

The other time was heading north on Saline Valley Road and we ran into two hikers on the side of the road that were absolutely beat down near the salt marsh before the road to the springs. They'd been stuck up high in the Inyo for around a week after getting snowed in and injured on what was supposed to be a two or three nighter to some cabins that the grandfather knew pretty well. The grandfather had blown his knee out I think and it took them days to get down and back to the road. They didn't have supplies for more than three days so they weren't doing super great. So, once again, I wanted the sheriff immediately sent out to support them, but please don't send a Search & Rescue helicopter because no one wants to pay for that.

Phew! Long story time!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Satellite Emergency Notification Devices - by TacoLand - 2020-11-15, 08:17 PM