Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt Polygons Are Caused by Convection
(2020-11-25, 09:50 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: The Organ Pipes look awesome!

I don't know of any in DV but I'm not a geologist.  I have seen some in the Red Cliffs area just outside St. George, though there we not anywhere near as good as the ones I saw on Rainier.  And some nice stuff on the highway just a bit west of Yakima, WA.  You need a place where there was volcanic flow with certain conditions of slow (?) cooling I think.  We have lots of volcanics in DV but I don't know of any good flow areas.  Anyone?

There's volcanics of all shapes and sizes across the greater DV region, but I don't know of any with well-defined columnar jointing. They generally prefer a thick flow, and most of the basalts and other volcanics are pretty thin. Lots more rhyolites than just the rhyolite tuff at Strozzi. 

I think the coolest columnar joints in the area are at Owens Gorge. It's not too common to find columnar jointing in welded tuff, but the Bishop Tuff is an uncommonly interesting volcanic unit!
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Salt Polygons Are Caused by Convection - by GowerGulch42 - 2020-11-27, 12:46 PM