Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Input: Stuck in Butte Valley for two days ...
(2021-02-22, 01:46 AM)TacoLand Wrote: I've always been a fan of those Xterras and your setup sounds great for Death Valley. Do you still have it?

Cool photo ... wait, did you not only drive out solo, but at dusk as well? Yeehaw!

Nope, it went back to Nissan under the Cali Lemon Law!!  And I'm now on my second vehicle since the Xterra.  Big Grin 

Yes, as you can see, it was near sunset when I reached Mengel Pass.   Definitely completely dark well before I got to the PV.

(2021-02-22, 07:16 PM)David_Bricker Wrote: ...a Jeep Rubicon is a Wrangler, but equipped from the factory with front and rear locking differentials (happy buttons), disconnecting front sway bar, 4:1 low range transfer case and 32" tires.

While I don't miss putting the Heep in the shop regularly, I do miss some of those Rubi capabilities.  But I knew going in that the SR5 4Runner was a step down. 

TBH I almost never actually used the lockers.  Though I did engage them occasionally just to make sure they were still functional.  But the front sway bar disconnect was great for keeping better wheel contact on eroded roads.  And the ultra low range was great too, I could just ease it down the steepest descents with no braking.

Off-topic, I chuckled when you mentioned the V-notch at Swansea.  I was a bit underinformed about the road when I drove the loop in 2015, exiting via Swansea.  I was in the upgraded Xterra so I made it through unscathed, but it was...exciting.  According to my notes from that day, there's a bypass around that section, is that correct?

I drove past this sign facing the other direction shortly after that stretch.  They're not kidding! Tongue 

[Image: 50973603617_f881a7af29_c.jpg]IMGP7151 by Candace66, on Flickr

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seeking Input: Stuck in Butte Valley for two days ... - by Candace66 - 2021-02-23, 11:24 AM