Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twas the night before Covid...
(2021-03-05, 04:29 PM)DeathValleyDazed Wrote: Your image from the Chloride Overlook down to Keane Wonder and beyond is so clear. I was not aware of that road visible between the overlook and Big Bell. I hiked from Keane to Big Bell and to Chloride and somehow missed that old road. Do you happen to have any other images of that road from different angles? I'll Google Earth that later this weekend.

So that's a roughly bladed old road.  I don't think it goes all the way down to Big Bell but you can see on the sat images as well as I.   We did not go on that road.  The old haul route (it's a cable drag basically) goes pretty much straight down the nose of the ridge, popping out by the Big Bell boiler.   IIRC there's still some rusted old cable sections.   I image you followed the miner trail up to the old Chloride townsite - it's still in great shape and has sweet switchbacks and all.

So what did you do when you got to the top?  Did someone pick you up or did you turn around and go down?  

Many years ago friends got married at Chloride; they found a Justice of the Peace in Beatty who was willing to come out with his 4WD.   After a simple ceremony and a "reception" (I recall Nilla Wafers and some juice) I left my daughter with the wedding couple (she got to ride into Beatty to find a cake with them, and scored a donut in the process) I walked down to Keane.  Near the end I was maybe 20 minutes behind schedule but I saw what I thought was my ride coming in the dirt road, so I thought to trot down and tell them I'd been waiting an hour - but no way could I run on those beat and tired legs!   We all had a very nice evening meal together at the old Sand Dunes picnic area (now closed) and watched the kangaroo rats jump around between our feet looking for crumbs.

Well they divorced and Twylla died, but she willed me some very nice Indian baskets which I display in her memory.  That was an amazing day, thanks for listening while I relive it Smile

Messages In This Thread
Twas the night before Covid... - by MojaveGeek - 2021-03-04, 06:48 PM
RE: Twas the night before Covid... - by netllama - 2021-03-04, 09:22 PM
RE: Twas the night before Covid... - by MojaveGeek - 2021-03-06, 03:40 PM
RE: Twas the night before Covid... - by TacoLand - 2021-03-06, 02:43 PM
RE: Twas the night before Covid... - by bbbb - 2021-03-07, 02:09 PM