Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foundry and Fall Canyons, Feb 2021
Submitted for your general amusement - my continuing adventures with Foundry Canyon.  Last time, I was unable to get to the top of the first dry fall - too slippery and nothing to hold on to. I went through several ideas and settled on a sort of ladder made of PVC pipe that would fit on the top of my hiking poles. 
[img][Image: 51026399688_1d023b8af8_k.jpg]Foundry Cyn ladder by Patricia Boylan, on Flickr[/img]

With that little extra boost and a lot of scrambling, I did manage to attain the top of the dry fall, and rested there happily catching my breath.  Just around the bend I ran up against the pile of boulders that seemed 8? 10? feet tall, and couldn't get over it.  Another bit of good exercise and solitude, but not the whole payoff I was hoping for.  Next time, I bring my son to help me.  For a consolation prize, I hiked up the small canyon south of Foundry, which had these dramatic red walls.

[img][Image: 51026410598_1a7e09b502_k.jpg]South Foundry cyn rampart by Patricia Boylan, on Flickr[/img]

And a rock formation which, if you got the right angle on it, looked like a rubber duckie:
[img][Image: 51026404578_cf9b521bc1_k.jpg]Foundry Cyn duck by Patricia Boylan, on Flickr[/img]

This spooky one was about my size, and brought to mind an Egyptian sarcophagus:
[img][Image: 51026407043_66263a4109_k.jpg]South Foundry coffin by Patricia Boylan, on Flickr[/img]

Death Valley has terrific rocks, everywhere I go in it.  Outside Foundry was this very healthy gourd plant, with lots of fruit.
[img][Image: 51027126456_0570b62d94_k.jpg]Foundry Cyn plants by Patricia Boylan, on Flickr[/img]

The next day I hiked up Fall Canyon. My nephew would join me in a couple of days and I needed to get in shape before he arrived.  I've been reading Miller and Wright's Geology of Death Valley, and so when I saw this, I wondered if it is an example of a normal dip slip fault?
[img][Image: 51027244177_0424b4c907_k.jpg]Fall Cyn fault 1 by Patricia Boylan, on Flickr[/img]

One more question: what kind of rock formation is this? Also found in Fall Canyon.
[img][Image: 51026415953_53bb88fac0_k.jpg]Fall Cyn crystal rocks by Patricia Boylan, on Flickr[/img]

The temperatures were cold both weeks; I was glad that I brought two sleeping bags and some rechargable hand warmers my husband bought at Menards. Texas Springs campground was completely full - first couple of nights I ended up in Sunset.  The moon was full and bright and it was great to be back there. More to follow.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/181637097@N07/][/url]

Messages In This Thread
Foundry and Fall Canyons, Feb 2021 - by Bluegreen kayak - 2021-03-11, 06:29 PM