Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kit Fox and Echo Canyons, Feb 2021
I'm assuming that sushi was brought in fresh and hadn't been sitting in your van overnight Smile That was how I first read it.

Sounds like a nice way to backpack. Glad you had a good time. Did you hike far enough on the old RR grade (past the road closed barrier) to see the petros on the way back?

No that's not the original Stovepipe well, In fact that must be since the last time I was there, maybe 15 years ago.

Assuming you went up the canyon immediately opposite the Stovepipe dirt road, you were following the canyon which had the old road from Daylight Pass, and the poles you saw were from the Rhyolite / Skidoo telephone line. If you'd gone up the right main fork, you'd eventually have come across some intermittent pieces of the old road, a rusted out car body or two, and the, once above the main hills, the old road runs pretty much straight to around Hells Gate.

One of the earliest hikes I ever did was to go up a canyon right across the pavement from the historical marker for the wagon wheel ruts, pop up to the flats above (any fork gets you up there), then head north till picking up the road trace, and back down to canyon with the poles. It was just myself and my 3 1/2 yr old daughter on my back, and one of my first hikes ever in DV, so very memorable!

Nice pix, thanks for the TR!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kit Fox and Echo Canyons, Feb 2021 - by MojaveGeek - 2021-03-15, 07:55 AM