Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Manly arithmetic...
I was pondering today how long Lake Manly would last in today's climate, so I did some reading and arithmetic.

Many publications cite Lake Manly's depth at about 600 feet, but the highest known shorelines actually suggest a max depth of about 1100 feet (335 meters)! This is called the Blackwelder Stand, and is one of the oldest high shorelines of Lake Manly. A 2004 report by the USGS showed that the average evaporation rate of Death Valley is 150 inches/year, and an average of 1.9 inches of rain per year. That's quite a deficit. Let's be conservative and say that there's 145 inches of evaporation per year. If Lake Manley was 1100 feet deep at its deepest, then that means Lake Manley would evaporate today in…

91 years.

Clearly, there's some nuance there with how the lake itself would reduce evaporation by being a heat sink and creating local humidity etc etc…. but I think it's a good demonstration of how dramatically the climate needed to shift over a few thousand years for that to happen! We think that the lake completely disappeared a few times before the modern day, but it was about 30 feet deep for a while about 2,000 years ago, and there are numerous ancient habitation sites along the shores of that particular lake stand.

Anyway, I thought that was neat.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com

Messages In This Thread
Lake Manly arithmetic... - by GowerGulch42 - 2021-03-25, 01:40 PM
RE: Lake Manly arithmetic... - by MojaveGeek - 2021-03-25, 06:23 PM
RE: Lake Manly arithmetic... - by David_Bricker - 2021-03-25, 08:00 PM
RE: Lake Manly arithmetic... - by GowerGulch42 - 2021-03-26, 12:30 PM