Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wildrose Station - Vintage Visit Memories
I created this video to appreciate the Wildrose Station well before my time as I only visited the past five years. I thought I had posted a link to it here but I can't find it if I did. The following comment on the video was most informative for me. 

"Wild Rose station was private property and a long time thorn in the Death Valley administration’s side. They didn’t like the idea that there were private enterprises within the park area that they did not control or profit from, even though Wildrose Station pre-dated the park. Wild Rose Canyon was one of the first major entrances to Death Valley, with people commuting up from Barstow through Panamint Valley. Improving Wildrose Cub Rd was one of the first California Civilian Conservation Corps jobs in Death Valley and their camp was nearby. The station survived a number of fires only to be eventually flattened by a large boulder. For a while DVNP maintained a lovely picnic area with bathrooms, as well as maintaining the roads and culverts. In the early 90s a change in DVNP administration turned it back on Wildrose Cyn, allowing roadside springs to overflow onto the road and seasonal rain storms to cover it in mud and debris. I imagine, eventually, when the road gets poor enough, they will close it all together. They have already changed the intersection by wild Rose Campground by erecting a stop sign on the through road. Over the years they have been allowing a number of the tertiary roads to degrade and close, funneling traffic to a handful of entrances. Local conjecture eventually they will start charging entrance fees on the roads rather than at the visitors center. This is good for the park, but not so much for locals that use the roads to commute through." by Larry Riendeau commenting at YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBe0kS78C3U
Life begins in Death Valley

Messages In This Thread
Wildrose Station - Vintage Visit Memories - by DeathValleyDazed - 2021-08-18, 06:18 PM