Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ham Radio Survival For Death Valley
Yes, apologies for the possible thread derail! I currently carry the rescueME PLB1 which weighs just 4 oz and costs about $300. I prefer its internal roll up antenna design to some other units which instead wrap the antenna around the body of the device for storage - always seem to pop out in my bag. I had a ResQLink in the past which is similar size, weight and cost but had an annoying antenna. PLBs like these use the publicly funded SARSAT constellation for communication which is why they are free to register and use.

I also have the InReach Mini and I have read of people occasionally have trouble activating and such which I’m sure does not inspire confidence! Another more general problem is that its GPS is less reliable than its actual Iridium messaging which frustrates folks since for non-emergency messages it uses the GPS to decide if there is enough sky visibility before trying to send a message (in an emergency it just tries to send no matter what). You can override this behavior for non-emergency messages as well but it’s fussy and dumb.

Oh, and I cross posted with DAW, and he’s correct there are 2M repeaters in the surrounding areas which you can hit from many open areas in the park. On a hike in a canyon, not so much.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ham Radio Survival For Death Valley - by DVexile - 2021-09-14, 07:25 PM