Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give us your DEVA backcountry plans or dreams!
I talked to the Naturalist in DV about the trails and he said that some of them were most definitely old native trails and some were likely later but he hadn't been out to Chuckwalla, he'd just heard multiple first hand accounts. He said almost every canyon has/had a trail into it on that side of the valley and there was a trail that skirted the edge, passing the mouth of every canyon. There's definitely one going into Chuckwalla, but I have no idea if it goes up the ridge. Zoom in on Google Earth and you can see a lot of it. There were obvious trails heading in all directions from the crater sort of willy-nilly. That was one reason to think some of them were later. The native trails are usually more direct.

The sheer number of old roads and footpaths that you can either follow or that you cross btw Hanaupah & Chuckwalla really surprised me.

I've done some Goolgeing, and some old fashion research but haven't found much about the crater. If anyone has any leads or old documentation I'd love to hear it.

Cheers!

EDIT: Oh and to answer your original question, I'd really like to thru-hike Ubehebe to Eureka this year. But I don't think I'll make it this winter...
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Give us your DEVA backcountry plans or dreams! - by Beardilocks - 2021-10-13, 10:30 AM