Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any intel on the first 7 miles of Death Valley Rd. from Ubehebe Crater area?
I thought the road in question was called the Big Pine Rd, any maybe sometimes it is, but MapBuilder calls it Death ValleyRd.

I've driven it in a rental sedan several times, but not in about 10 years. I don't recall any problems. It tends to get very washboarded for a while so it's a bit tedious. As mentioned above, it is pretty wide with plenty of spots to pull over - especially where it is crossed by some sandy washes. I think every now and then one of those washes creates a bit of a rut across the road. As usual, just take it a bit slow, but it wasn't, in my experience, a white knuckle drive at all.

That being said, a ranger really chewed me out one year when I stopped in at SPW to inquire about current conditions. I had my young daughter with me and she was really upset that I'd consider taking my kid on that road. Eeek. When tourists ask me how the road is, I ask them how much water they are carrying. If their answer includes "gallon" I tell them its fine, 30 mph, but watch carefully. If not, or a "huh" expression, I say it is very rough.

I've also driving the Racetrack road a couple of times in a sedan. If freshly graded, I would do it again. The last time I went up it there was a ton of loose gravel for miles, due to some side canyon washout. I needed to keep a wheel on the center to not get high centered, but I was having a lot of trouble with traction while going up, and no place to turn around. I just toughed it out (had no choice, really, at that point) and figured, correctly, that I would be able to drive down without an issue.

The side roads off that Death Valley road are pretty rough, but I've driven some of them in a sedan as well. But that was back in my younger days and I might not try it now Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any intel on the first 7 miles of Death Valley Rd. from Ubehebe Crater area? - by MojaveGeek - 2021-11-28, 05:02 PM