Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stretched Pebble Canyon difficulty?
If I recall correctly, the bypass on the right (west) side for the chockstone dry-fall early on in the canyon is relatively straightforward, I think you climb up a steep side-drainage then cross over the solid rock canyon wall, and yes there's exposure but the rock has good traction (more like Utah sandstone than anything too slick) and I think I opted to just "crab-walk" across. I found it considerably easier than the chimney dry-falls (could be personal preference though), and I recall being less nervous than I was on the bypass for the first major dry-fall in Grotto. But this was over 10 years ago so my memory could be lacking. Also, I think there is a second chockstone dry-fall considerably further up-canyon that's a lot more challenging to bypass than this first one. I vaguely remember having to stand on the chockstone when coming off the bypass and the chockstone was wobbling which was a bit scary.

If you do this hike, please share photos! I haven't found a trip report anywhere that documents all of the dry-falls in the early part of the canyon but that would probably be very beneficial to future visitors to the canyon.
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Messages In This Thread
Stretched Pebble Canyon difficulty? - by DVexile - 2021-12-02, 03:15 PM
RE: Stretched Pebble Canyon difficulty? - by Kauri - 2021-12-02, 08:27 PM