Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DV database
(2022-03-07, 07:54 PM)Brice Wrote:
(2022-03-07, 06:46 PM)netllama Wrote: I'm not sure that this is what you want to hear but alas, if you're limited to free (library) internet access, and just a couple hours/week, then I don't think you're in a good position to be operating a website.  Also,  most wiki software tends to have a rather poor track record from a security perspective (meaning that it will require significant effort to keep it secured against malicious actors). 

Beyond that, you need to think about moderators, or some other system for managing the data.  Wiki's are especially notorious for accumulating erroneous or malicious entries, as its designed to make editing data very easy, but verifying the data time consuming.  Having all of this data won't be much fun if some jerk comes through and dumps a bunch of garbage, or worse, submits erroneous updates.

Its unclear from your post whether you have web hosting available (or even a domain name), but that's also a consideration that you need to figure out.

I'm ignorant of any security vulnerabilities around wikis since it's brand new to me but thanks for the heads up.  I'll look into it and welcome any suggestions if we go this route.

Today I installed mediawiki which is what wikipedia runs off of. It seems to have the feature of only allowing select people to make edits and create content. I wasn't ever thinking of opening it up to the general public, because you are right that it would be difficult to manage.

I haven't got far enough to think about hosting yet since that may depend on how the site is implemented.  Mediawiki requires apache, php, and mariaDB or mySQL. Would that be a problem for you if the offer to host still stands?

Apache & php are no problem. mariaDB and mySQL are not viable options from my perspective. Too many security & performance problems.

Messages In This Thread
DV database - by Brice - 2022-03-07, 01:34 PM
RE: DV database - by trailhound - 2022-03-07, 04:58 PM
RE: DV database - by netllama - 2022-03-07, 06:46 PM
RE: DV database - by Brice - 2022-03-07, 07:54 PM
RE: DV database - by netllama - 2022-03-07, 10:15 PM