Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Did You Do in Death Valley Today?
Here’s a thread just for grins. No need for lengthy trip reports, they deserve their own threads. I know not everyone is going to be in DV every day, but if it’s DV related, put it here. Even if your “visit” to DV is only in your imagination, doing research for upcoming trips, looking through your photo albums, whatever.

Me? I haven’t been in the valley in about 15 years. Today I was exploring via topo maps and Google Earth, referencing each to locate and follow.

* I revisited my route in a 2000 trip where I camped the first night after driving after work in Trona; camping atop the Las Vegas & Tonopah Railroad several miles west of Bullfrog. “Flew” over the Gold Bar mill ruins. Then over to the Phinney Mine and my camp at the end of the road above Strozzi Ranch. Then back along the Las Vegas & Tonopah Railroad to Currie Well. Back to my first night camp on the LV&TRR, then south a bit then west to the Happy Holligan Mine. Explored to the end of the road above the mine and found that a cabin shown on the topo map is indeed still there.

* Exploring the Big Bell and Keane Wonder mines. Up the tram from the Keane Wonder mill, down from Chloride City.

So that was my day “in” Death Valley.
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Messages In This Thread
What Did You Do in Death Valley Today? - by DAW89446 - 2022-03-24, 06:09 PM