Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Rim, Yant Flat and Red Cliffs NCA
Sounds like you had a fun time! And I'm really glad you enjoyed Yant Flat (sometimes called Candy Cliffs). I'm so sorry you missed the parking are for the trail on the first time though. I guess it still isn't marked. The first time I went I had scoped it out with respect to one of the small forest service side roads and there were other cars there both times I've been so easy to find. Sorry I did not provide the details. But glad you had fun wandering around the Bacon Blobs!

It is interesting as it has become a relatively heavily used area, but yes, you have to figure out how to get down that "cauliflower surface" slickrock first. It takes a bit of time to get used to the slickrock. It's pretty high friction / grippy but feels airy sometimes. On my trip out in East Zion in March I was traversing some smoother slickrock that was getting steeper than I wanted so I thought I would crab walk down it. Mistake, because the butt of my pants has less friction than my boot soles so I slid down about 15 feet and jammed my right leg. Took a few months of pain and not healing before I got the cortisone shot which makes the knee happy again.

I had been told the road through to St. George was really bad, and you should always go from the Leeds side. I walked the lower few miles of that road doing a loop hike in Red Cliffs and it seemed fine. If you were going back that way, would you go up from the St. George side, or via Leeds again.

North Rim. Never disappoints!

Glad you had a good time!!!

Oh, and thanks for the note on the Red Reef trail. I'd read about that difficult spot and it had kept me out of there once. I guess I should have gone for it!

Messages In This Thread
RE: North Rim, Yant Flat and Red Cliffs NCA - by MojaveGeek - 2022-06-24, 07:08 AM