Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Rim, Yant Flat and Red Cliffs NCA
I would definitely approach Yant Flat from the Leeds side and not from St George. The road onward to St George seemed longer, a bit more primitive, and had several sandy low spots that I worried I might get stuck in. I kept going through them, relying on the plywood boards in the van in case I got in trouble. 

Part of what confused me was driving past the tree-shaded area that looked like a farm. For some reason, this made me think I had already missed the parking lot for Yant and was on my way back to civilization. Was I ever off. Looking back, I realized there was one vehicle at the trailhead, and since that was the only parked vehicle on the road, it should have alerted me. By the time that thought surfaced, I was way further down the road. Don't feel bad about it - I frequently miss things the first time, but then there's often other interesting experiences when that happens.

The Red Reef tough spot was amusing. I was standing there dithering and thinking about going back, and then that family, with middle-sized kids, came sauntering back from the canyon beyond. Made my fears look a little silly. It isn't easy by any means, and it helped to have my son go first to guide me around, but it is doable.

Your experience at East Zion - ouch! Hope you're all better.

I'm keeping your other recommendations for future visits - Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
RE: North Rim, Yant Flat and Red Cliffs NCA - by Bluegreen kayak - 2022-06-24, 02:01 PM