Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction and first trip
Staying at Longstreet is an interesting option, since the road to Beatty is closed. Let us know how it is. Many people here are Beatty regulars.

I agree largely with what DVExile says, especially about Dante's at sunrise, Badwater at sunset. And it's really fun being out on the salt as it gets dark. If there is a moon when you there.... real magic (best is at least 3 or 4 days after full, as it takes a while to rise above Dante's, and probably for the week or so after that). At Dante's, if you are not freezing, take a stroll on the use trail that runs north along the ridge from the parking lot. In terms of Badwater, the mountains to the west tower above you, so sunset is earlier than you might think by an hour or so!

Gower Gulch loop is good. It was one of the first places I ever went, but no one told me that a loop was possible, I just sort of discovered it, much fun. As you get down Gower to the end it looks like you might be stranded high (imagine me carrying a sleeping 3 yr old on my back) but the passage back down appears magically.

Agree that you might add stuff to Day 1. Another option which involves 0 extra driving is the old RR grade that runs from DV Junction to Ryan. There is a clear area to park on the south side just over the high point out of DV - people camp in there often. There's old road grades to the RR bed. Take the one on the right side of the ravine as the trestle up the ravine is out, leaving you stranded if you go up the left side. The RR grade starts to bend around to the left. There's some ruins there (marked on the topo). You can just follow the grade or take off around the ruins and head for the high point straight ahead. Either way you get some very nice views down into the valley. The nice thing here is that you can edit it in or not, depending on how much time you have on the way out.

Also agree with that Day 2 advice. You've got good advice there!

Messages In This Thread
Introduction and first trip - by midwesterngal - 2022-11-05, 02:48 PM
RE: Introduction and first trip - by DVexile - 2022-11-05, 05:01 PM
RE: Introduction and first trip - by MojaveGeek - 2022-11-05, 06:31 PM
RE: Introduction and first trip - by DAW89446 - 2022-11-06, 09:59 AM
RE: Introduction and first trip - by DVexile - 2022-11-06, 10:46 AM
RE: Introduction and first trip - by MojaveGeek - 2022-11-06, 11:01 AM
RE: Introduction and first trip - by MojaveGeek - 2022-12-26, 03:28 PM