Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Undiscovered Cavern In Death Valley
(2023-02-01, 04:51 PM)DeathValleyDazed Wrote: Having just enjoyed a geology video from our very own community geologist Andrew on a lava tube in Oregon

I got to wondering about caverns under the mountains of Death Valley. I realize lava tubes don't fit the DEVA geology but I'm hoping for at least one cool cavern, the type that are large enough to allow human exploration without damaging the glories of formations like the ones in Carlsbad, Lehman, Mammoth, Kartchner, etc. 

Depends on what you define as big, the cavern in your second link is about 160ft deep and its a world class cave.

Its not accessible even to cavers sadly. My understanding is since the SoCal grotto helped with the gate in 1950 there has been like a NSS trip per decade. 

In part because its super delicate aragonite and moonmilk and requires very experienced and careful access ( Ek, Faye and their camera were absolutely reckless idiots that could have damaged it badly forever) and there have been several break ins to illegally harvest the formations ( and that youtube video is to blame for some of the vandal entry attempts so please dont give it publicity).

But yes please if anyone finds a wild cave treat please it like a petroglyph site, dont disscuss locations here in the open and do not put the cave at risk (not like those irresponsible assholes Ek and Faye did). 

If you want developed caves, Mitchell caverns are not far from DV.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible Undiscovered Cavern In Death Valley - by Daymoth - 2023-02-01, 08:45 PM