Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some learned wisdom on visiting DV!
Well, life has been kind and I will have 4 days to myself in Las Vegas after a conference.  Death Valley has always been a dream destination for me.  That being said, I am extremely detail oriented about planning correctly for trips.  This looked like a great forum to get some honest and valuable input on my possible visit.  I have the following questions, but feel free to highlight pointers/warnings/encouragement as you see fit.  And thank you in advance!

1. If I come, I will arrive on May 17 and depart on May 20.  This is already summer, advertised average high of 100F.  Am I incorrect?  It is going to be HOT, but what I am looking to know is if that timeframe is usually reasonable with proper preparation for non-backcountry exploration.
2. I am NOT planning any type of serious off-roading (especially with a rental vehicle).  I wish to view geology and take time for stargazing.  My target locations are Dante's View, Badwater, Mesquite Dunes, and Devil's Golf Course.  Are these all generally accessible with an AWD rental?
3. Obviously heat is the concern.  I am not subject to unusual heat sickness and have been in "hot" regions (but NOT Death Valley hot).  I plan to be prepared with 12 gallons of pre-purchased water, electrolyte-based snacks, etc.  Outside of that, should I be concerned in May about factors of the heat and the vehicle?  Tire pressures?  Damage I would not be anticipating?  Do rental car companies hear "Death Valley" and usually say "no way sir"?
4. I really, really, REALLY am looking forward to stargazing without light pollution.  I also don't wish to get stuck in the park at night, so are there good gazing areas reasonably close to egress from the park?  I will be staying in Pahrump, Tecopa (bit of a drive), or the Inn (though the expense is making it not my first choice).

Optimally, I would visit in March, but we don't always get to choose our opportunities.  That being said, I have other options if May is not reasonable for a scientific visit (I like to observe and look for long periods of time, not just cover ground).  Please be honest! Smile  I have the time to choose Zion, Great Basin, Joshua Tree, etc.  It is just that Death Valley is my first choice.

Thanks so much in advance and I apologize for the length of the post.  I hope all are well and take care!

Messages In This Thread
Looking for some learned wisdom on visiting DV! - by horizonarches - 2024-02-24, 10:37 AM