Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the most remote difficult place to reach in the park?
(2020-10-03, 10:25 AM)DeathValleyDazed Wrote: I just noticed how caltopo lists way more benchmarks than Google Earth which provides even more hiking destinations and helps locate past destinations. As usual I'm slow to catch on because MojaveGeek's use of "Borax Benchmark" way back when I first joined the forum seven years ago was the first I'd heard of "benchmark" related to Death Valley. Duh!

Just for fun here's a list of DEVA benchmarks from Caltopo. I may have missed some? I've only been to a very few of these. (*)

Artists Benchmark*
Between Benchmark
Blacktop Benchmark
Borax Benchmark*
Boundary Benchmark
Brass Benchmark
Cameo Benchmark
Cottonwood Benchmark
Cowhorn Benchmark
Coyote Benchmark
Darwin Benchmark
Devare Benchmark
Goldbelt Benchmark
High Benchmark
Hunt Benchmark
Ibex Benchmark
Leaning Benchmark
Lost Burro Benchmark 
Marble Benchmark
McClain Benchmark
Mill Benchmark
Myers Benchmark
Owl Benchmark
Park Benchmark
Ryan Benchmark* 
Sharp Benchmark
Spring Benchmark
Vine Benchmark
Warm Benchmark
Zinc Benchmark

Nice! I think most of these benchmarks are on the NPS DEVA High Points list, but this is testing my memory so I'll have to double-check. 

(I admittedly have visited very few of these benchmarks; which means I need to get back to the park soon.)

I highly recommend you check out Cottonwood Benchmark. The views are incredible from the top, and I think you'll enjoy the shortcut/scramble route.
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's the most remote difficult place to reach in the park? - by Kauri - 2020-10-03, 02:42 PM