Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the most remote difficult place to reach in the park?
I think this is an interesting topic because there’s so many ways to define remote. Some parts of the park/region just feel lonelier than others as well.

Some of the canyons that lead deep into the Inyos from Saline Valley feel extremely wild. Although that just steps over the bounds of the park.

I agree that Owlshead region is probable about as far as you can get from other humans by vehicle, thanks in part to the military base and low traffic. I think the area btw the repeater and Butte Valley is maybe the least traveled area in modern times. Probably because there’s not much out there. I wish Wingate Wash was still open to 4wd but I may attempt to hike part of it someday.

Dry Mountain/Round Valley seems very wild. I’d love to thru-hike Corridor to Saline Valley someday.

I thru-hiked Aguereberry to Furnace and that’s an interesting example of feeling extremely wild and untouched but basically having the Oasis in sight the whole way.

I did Dry Bone thru solo and that was an intense (and probably stupid) experience. Very remote and very wild. Amazing to come down out of that deep canyon and then hike the valley floor. One of the rare times I’ve felt truly alone.

I would also love to thru hike from Jackass Canyon in northern Saline valley to Hidden Dunes. That’s a very remote feeling area as well.

I also feel that hiking deep into the Northern Cottonwoods from White Top road would be extremely wild. Towards Tin Mountain to Rest Spring or Heart of Stone Canyon.

Also the old Skookum Mine road up into the Last Chance and they to Steele Pass looks fun.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's the most remote difficult place to reach in the park? - by Beardilocks - 2021-08-24, 08:21 AM