Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
death-valley.net shutdown & data scrape
A tidbit of history, if it helps.

I don’t recall exactly when D-V.net’s predecessor arrived, but it was DeathValley.us. It was run by someone who called himself Bighorn online. I found the site in its early days and joined. It was far more civilized than the original DV Talk boards, which had a difficult to follow, flow chart thread structure and was occasionally hostile and often contentious. A lot of us authors developed relationships and friendships via DV.us.

Around 2004 or 2005, Bighorn shut down DV.us for reasons I don’t quite understand clearly and I’m not going to speculate based on what little I do know.

About 2006, Dan resurrected DV.us into D-V.net that we’ve all come to know and love. I’m pretty sure he also obtained DV.us’s archives.

It sounds as if you managed to gather the vast majority of archived information. Not being tech savvy, nor having the means to store such, I won’t be able to take advantage of the archives. And in those days, I was as much as a soapbox orator on all things corrupt in the park service, rampant wilderness creation, pilfering and stealing of artifacts, etcetera, as I was in posting historical information. Working in Trona as I did until 2004 can do that to ya ...  Rolleyes
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: death-valley.net shutdown & data scrape - by DAW89446 - 2020-09-14, 01:50 PM