Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panamint Springs - Do the springs exist?
Sorry, I just saw this thread.

There are no springs at PSR. I really don't think there ever was. The original resort was built in 1935 to serve the new road coming from Olancha to Stovepipe Wells. At the time the resort was built, the pipeline from Darwin Falls was installed. This is a deeded water supply, and is still today PSR's only water supply. Somewhere, I have copies of the original water rights paperwork.

The pelton wheel is mentioned in the original water rights paperwork, and it was powered from the waterline from Darwin Wash. So, the staff person at the general store was partially correct.

David Bricker / SYR

(2020-11-09, 02:44 PM)DeathValleyDazed Wrote: I've actually rented a Farabee Jeep and driven the old road from Darwin Falls parking, south and up that steep hill and into Darwin Canyon, stopping at China Garden and the old well house before driving almost due East to Darwin. This route is what I'm guessing was the old toll road? 

Yes, the road you drove from Highway 190 to Darwin is the old Darwin Toll road. It significantly predates Highway 190, and for that matter, PSR.  In some places, especially near the stairsteps about 1 mile past the Falls parking area, you will still find some of the original pavement.  The toll road of course, did not go to China Gardens, but continued through the sand wash, past the old Darwin pump house, and up the hill on pavement into the town of Darwin.

David Bricker / SYR
DV Rat.  Live upstate NY, play Death Valley, retiring to Hawaii. '95 Cherokee, barely.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Panamint Springs - Do the springs exist? - by David_Bricker - 2020-11-13, 12:58 AM