Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indian Peak (White Mountains) trip report
(2020-10-20, 09:20 AM)Kauri Wrote:
(2020-10-19, 09:59 PM)Candace66 Wrote: Ah yes, remember the "Marble Bird Bath"?  AKA a dust trap set up for scientific research.  Somehow I became irrationally interested in finding all those.  Big Grin   Perhaps I will do a write-up about all that someday, LOL.

Yes! Please, please do a write-up on the "Marble Bird Baths"! I remember your posts about this on the old forum. Finding those sounds like a fascinating project--especially since they were probably difficult to find since they don't show up on Google Earth?

No, those tiny things definitely aren't visible on Google Earth! 

A variety of research-related publications did list rough coordinates and other details about the sites.   But none of the coordinates were exact. 

For the earliest traps set up in the 80's, the sites were hand-plotted on a printed topo map, then ithe coordinates were interpolated!  Sometimes they were off by literally miles.

One limitation on posting a complete write-up is that the sites may be used again for research.  So of course the person I contacted asked me not to share the exact coordinates of them.  But I could probably still come up with something that is interesting, and/or proves I'm a nut to pursue those things for years! Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Indian Peak (White Mountains) trip report - by Candace66 - 2020-10-20, 01:22 PM