Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satellite Emergency Notification Devices
“MojaveGeek” Wrote:David, hope you're OK!

Thank you for your concern. No, I am mobile, but do have some work related injuries and health issues that make hiking and being roughed up off road painful and not much fun anymore. Age and weight don’t help much. So now I’m more of a soft roader than an off roader.

I don’t knock PLB’s. I think they provide a great safety cushion. I’m just saying I got along just fine without them due to common sense and not taking unnecessary risks.

I think the worse case scenario I was in was back in the early 1970s when I was near Big Bear Lake on the Coxy Truck Trail on my motorcycle exploring in winter. My bike tossed the chain, which snagged a tang on the primary case and busted a big hole in the transmission and jammed the gearsets. I was alone, only a light jacket, in snow, no supplies, at dusk. I did tell my Mom where I was headed so she sent out the neighbor with his big Chevy Blazer, who found me about 2AM huddling up against a pine tree in the dark (left my bike on the road so if someone would come along they’d find me), with hypothermia and frostbite.

It would have been nice to have a PLB or satellite phone, but that was future tech then.
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Satellite Emergency Notification Devices - by DAW89446 - 2020-11-20, 07:24 PM