Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry Ice
The only time I was able to get hold of dry ice at a convenient time, I found that the food right next to the dry ice froze real solid, and produce too close to it got damaged due to the freeze. I did not notice any taste, but maybe because it was a styrofoam cooler so it didn't seal that well? This was an April time frame to some warmer parts of Utah. It did seem like a good idea though, because you get a good bang (degrees of cooling) per volume (cubic inches of dry ice). Oh, yes, I recall it also froze some drinks, not good for beers!

The block ice approach takes a bunch of volume, but because the surface area is smaller than when you use cubes, it will last longer - but won't cool so much as cubes. Probably as long as you start with well refrigerated food into the cooler, that's OK.

I often freeze in old soda bottles if I can, instead of getting block ice, because then you don't get the melt water all over everything. And you really don't want to throw out that cold melt water, it is thermal mass. The bottles, being round, are less than great for space management, but there are square water bottles you could start with.

I also try to freeze liquids I'm carrying, if they are amenable to such, such as juices and milk.

It's also very useful to pack the coolers carefully. Surround them with stuff (luggage) to limit air contact. I cover them with the extra coats, sleeping bags, whatever. Don't leave in hot vehicles if possible. If it's cold at night, leave 'em out but in a place where they will be shaded at sunrise.

Messages In This Thread
Dry Ice - by Bluegreen kayak - 2021-02-05, 08:52 AM
RE: Dry Ice - by Kauri - 2021-02-05, 10:15 AM
RE: Dry Ice - by TacoLand - 2021-02-05, 11:33 AM
RE: Dry Ice - by GowerGulch42 - 2021-02-05, 01:38 PM
RE: Dry Ice - by MojaveGeek - 2021-02-05, 08:57 PM
RE: Dry Ice - by trailhound - 2021-02-06, 09:53 AM
RE: Dry Ice - by Bluegreen kayak - 2021-02-06, 02:39 PM
RE: Dry Ice - by TacoLand - 2021-02-06, 11:26 AM
RE: Dry Ice - by David_Bricker - 2021-02-06, 11:57 PM
RE: Dry Ice - by trailhound - 2021-02-08, 03:16 PM