Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man narrowly escapes death-by-GPS in the Sierras
(2021-02-07, 12:14 PM)trailhound Wrote: ... There was a terrible case where a single mom and her young son were driving from Las Vegas to the Thorndike campground in summer. She followed the GPS to Baker and turned off onto Hwy 127. The GPS put her on the dirt road leading to the abandoned telephone relay tower. It took her past the tower and across the desert. Her vehicle became stuck. It was several days before a routine ranger patrol spotted her tire tracks and investigated. Unfortunately, her son died of exposure. The rangers moved her car by putting the floor mats under the drive wheels. An article stated that DV officials were working with GPS makers to remove these old mining roads from their units.

I think you are referring this 2009 incident involving Alicia Sanchez.  Below is the full statement from the NPS about it:

NPS statement

While looking for articles about that incident, I came across some about a 2016 fatality I don't remember hearing of.  But I think I'll make a separate thread for that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Man narrowly escapes death-by-GPS in the Sierras - by Candace66 - 2021-02-08, 07:10 PM