Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man narrowly escapes death-by-GPS in the Sierras
Right. One thing that always bothered me about that incident was that she got a flat, and then went on with no spare. And (fortunately I guess) abandoned the flat. Saved her life. But not her son's. Very very sad.

Sometimes when I'm out there I encounter people who figured I look dirty enough to maybe know my way around. If they ask me about some road that I know is remote but passable with a sedan, I ask how much water they have. Their response strongly colors how I answer that.

On a funnier note, I once got a good chewing out from a ranger at the SPW station when I walked in with my daughter, maybe 6 or 7 years?, and asked about the condition of the Big Pine Rd. All I wanted to know was whether there was any new washout or anything, as I'd heard there was some issue with the Racetrack road. Well, she told me it was totally irresponsible to take a child on that route and if I wanted to go to the Eureka Dunes (I didn't) I should drive the long way around on pavement.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Man narrowly escapes death-by-GPS in the Sierras - by MojaveGeek - 2021-02-08, 08:45 PM