Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaser Trailer for "Last Chance Solo: A Death Valley Adventure" by Steve Hall
Steve is a bit.... sensitive shall we say? I think he's a good guy who's done a whole lot of exploring in DV, certainly among the best of any of us. I've certainly traded info with him behind the scenes and he knows more than he writes up, which is of course fine. He used to post at the old forum but then got in an argument and left, even though he was the much more valued (by the group) resource.

I don't get why you'd put all the hours and hours of work into the site that Steve has done, and which makes it one of the best, if not the best, site for broad coverage of DV, and then take it down. Unless he doesn't want to spend the money to keep it up. Or maybe he regrets making too much of the place he loves available to too many. I don't know of course. I would not be surprised if he reads what's posted here as a lurker.

When Digonnet's book first came out, I was rather shocked. I had discovered many of those places myself, by studying maps, my own photos, sat images, historical maps (there's always trails between contemporary old mining districts) and I felt a bit violated. But at the same time, at least half the book was entirely new territory for me, so in the end, a net win.

I think, especially in the days of the old forum, but maybe we can continue here, the online community shared within itself a lot of info as well, and in the process we all contributed immensely to each other's enjoyment. The forum has been, to my mind, one of the most successful uses of the Internet I've participated in. And I was certainly glad to have gotten to know Steve. There's always going to be some who give more and some who take more. But maybe he felt he just gave all the time

Again, I have no idea. Steve is obviously someone who loves to hike and be outdoors, and as such, is a kindered spirit.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teaser Trailer for "Last Chance Solo: A Death Valley Adventure" by Steve Hall - by MojaveGeek - 2021-02-17, 07:44 PM