Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give us your DEVA backcountry plans or dreams!
(2021-10-13, 05:37 PM)bbbb Wrote:
(2021-10-13, 02:36 PM)Kauri Wrote: What part of Big Pine Road are you most concerned about? The paved stretch is fine, and sees a reasonable amount of vehicles, but I will say that the two times I've been to Eureka Valley the washboard has been horrific on the dirt part of Big Pine Road and out towards the Eureka Dunes. On the second trip I opted to turn around early, out of concern for the stock suspension on my RAV4.

Definitely the unpaved stretch. I remember reading a story about a photographer/tourist who drove out there and had three flat tires by the time he got to the dunes. It seems like a long distance to slowly creep along in a rental car, so backpacking there from Ubehebe Crater seems like it could be a neat alternative.

Ouch, yes, the sharp rocks on road probably wouldn't be nice to rental car tires. I personally wouldn't do it without good tires, a full size spare, and tire repair kit and air compressor and/or fix-a-flat (but admittedly I also tend to be over cautious about things like this). 

Your backpacking trip from Ubehebe Crater to the Eureka Dunes looks great!
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Give us your DEVA backcountry plans or dreams! - by Kauri - 2021-10-13, 08:03 PM