Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give us your DEVA backcountry plans or dreams!
(2022-08-21, 06:07 PM)Beardilocks Wrote:
(2022-08-21, 04:57 PM)Kauri Wrote: There's an unnamed canyon I have been wanting for many years to hike someday, east of the Ubehebe/Crankshaft Crossing road, to hopefully get a view from the ridge into the Eureka Valley. Of course, that'll now depend on road conditions/closures...

East of Ubehebe/Crankshaft into Eureka Valley?   Am I turned around somehow?  That view would be epic into Eureka Valley.  

I recently read about someone taking a route I’ve often wondered about: Eureka Valley to Sandy Peak.  So apparently there’s a hijab or drainage N/NNE out of Eureka Valley towards Big Pine Rd.

Oops, yes, I am notoriously guilty of getting things backwards! (My brain seems to think, "Crankshaft is east of the ridge so I say east" when what I'm really trying to say is that the ridge is west of Crankshaft...)

I think I was looking at two spots, the ridge at 37° 7'35.83"N 117°36'36.30"W, or the ridge at 37° 8'55.01"N 117°36'54.25"W (which I now think is very close to Sandy Benchmark).

It's been so long since I've visited DV, I was just looking at Google Earth to refresh my memory of this potential hike and I'm really second-guessing myself what's a realistic hike and what isn't, whereas years ago I felt like I could read the terrain better and know where I'd be likely to run into issues.
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Give us your DEVA backcountry plans or dreams! - by Kauri - 2022-08-21, 06:22 PM