Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toad's Wild Ride At Beatty Turn Off
I've come down from the Cloride Cliff road on a motorcycle.  Coming out of Cloride Cliff, I hit a rock, and sheared the shift lever.  Unfortunately, that action kicked the transmission into neutral.  We pushed/towed the bike out to the pavement, and I coasted down the hill, using the brakes only when absolutely necessary.  The plan was to get as close to Stovepipe Wells as possible, which is where our van was parked.

Everything was going fine until I came to the intersection of Mud Canyon and Scottys Castle Rd (North Highway).  As I turned the corner, the broken and dangling shift lever caught the pavement.  I went one way; the bike went a different way.  There was no traffic so I didn't hit anything, but I did pick up a modest amount of road rash.

The funny part was I was being followed by two older ladies in a 1960s Buick (This was in 1970).  They came to a stop, stared at me, stared at my motorcycle, assumed this was how I normally came to a stop, and continued on their way.  No "are you OK", no words at all.

David Bricker / SYR - ITO

P.S. The 90 degree corner on Hwy 190 just east of the North highway junction is a continual scene of single vehicle accidents.  In the past ten years, I've come across three within 2 hours of my arrival.  Considering I'm only out there a few times a year, that's a pretty high count.
DV Rat.  Live upstate NY, play Death Valley, retiring to Hawaii. '95 Cherokee, barely.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Toad's Wild Ride At Beatty Turn Off - by David_Bricker - 2021-10-29, 01:53 AM